Slackware on a Lenovo ThinkPad X220t

posted on Feb 18, 2012

This is about setting up Slackware Linux on the "Convertible" Laptop-Tablet PC Lenovo X220t. This combines the advantages of a tablet (being able to write with a pen) with the speed of a proper computer (an i5 rather than an ARM processor). I use it both for running lengthy simulations, as well as for editing PDFs with handwriting.

Slackware64 13.37

• installed the full package, using a USB install as this machine has no optical drive (an option that I did not get). The install went smoothly and it recognized most of the hardware
  • applied all the patches available at the time
  • applied two packages from testing: libdrm-2.4.25 and mesa-7.10.2

Kernel 3.2.6

The kernel that comes in 13.37 has old wacom drivers that don't work with the touch screen of the X220t (which is a USB device). So I upgraded the kernel to 3.2.6.

• I use this config file.
  • added the kernel parameter i915.semaphores=1 so as to not hang the video, a problem that has pestered all Intel SandyBridge chips. (You add this in /etc/lilo.conf to the append section)
  • added the latest microcode for the Centrino-N 1000 wireless adapter to /lib/firmware (the file iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode in the tarball)

X.org

The X11 system in 13.37 comes with an xf86-driver-wacom package that does not support the X220t touchscreen very well. A more recent version is needed to make the table work fine. I've created a package for version 12.0 using the build scripts included in 13.37. Building parts of X11 are not as straightforward as building simpler packages, so I am providing here the package that I build, feel free to download: xf86-input-wacom-0.12.0-x86_64-2.txz

Usability chart

devicehardwarestatusmodule/drivercomments
ethernetintegrated Intel 82579LM Gigabitworkse1000e
wifiintegrated Intel Wireless-N 1000 BGNworksiwlwifinot tried N mode
videointegrated Intel SandyBridgeworksi915requires i915.semaphores=1 kernel parameter or else there are frequent GPU hangs
sound cardintegrated Intel HDAworkssnd-hda-intelintegrated microphone works; external mic and heaphones requires single jack and not yet tested
cameraChicony Electronics 04f2:b217worksuvcvideoworks up to 1280x720
hotkeyskeyboardpartialthinkpad_acpivolume and brightness work, suspend and others don't
BluetoothBroadcom 0a5c:217f untestedbluetoothled is up, appears to work but need to test
fingerprint readerUpek 147e:2016does not work apparently can work but needs a driver and software
flash card readerRicoh device e823workssdhci-pcionly tested SD and SDHC cards